Re: keymap conf & Co

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 01:34:05AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Yann Dirson <ydirson@multimania.com> writes:
> > > Just to let you know: I've started converting console-tools/data to
> > > use debconf.  Maybe you'll be interested in that.  Maybe it could
> > > serve as a base for unifying the keymap selection at bootstrap-time
> > > and at later times.
> >
> > Does this mean we're definately moving debconf into base?  I think
> > there are some issues with that...
> >
> > Mind you, I love the idea of debconf.  I just worry that if we move it
> > into base for potato we're going to end up gumming up the potato
> > release.  Thoughts?

> I may be talking nonsense here, but a lot of packages use
> debconf for their postinst configuration, don't they? Isn't
> this exactly the point of debconf?

Nothing in base requires it.  debconf itself isn't quite base-friendly
either.

> And isn't this the reason perl is in base to begin with?

Um... not... perl-base is in base because maintainer scripts use it as
an interpreter.  I thought if you use debconf, your maintainer scripts
will still work without it... (or else you need a pre-depends on
debconf I guess).

Mr. debconf maintainer -- can you clarify all this?