Re: bootp, dhcp, etc

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 02:25:04AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> I'm curious what our bootp/dhcp support strategy is...
>
> There seems to be a number of competeing pacakges, such as pump,
> dhcp_client, etc.  I'm not sure which we should pick.
>
> Are there any bootp/dhcp experts here?  Should I cry out for some on
> Debian-devel?

dhcp-client would be a great one to use on the boot-floppies, as it supports
both bootp and dhcp. It also works pretty much automatically in both cases.
However, it's over 100 kbytes, so it's ruled out unless someone can strip
it way down.

Pump doesn't work here. too bad. It's only 29k.

dhcpcd and bootpc together are ~34k. It seems to me we could have a simple
script that tries running both bootpc and then dhcpcd. Whichever ends up
yielding a workable address wins a link in /etc/rc2.d.

Of course, if redhat's tool worked, that would be better ;).

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..avancouw@calpoly.edu.. ..aaronv@debian.org..
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org