Re: New tasks status

"Martin Bialasinski" <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> * "Matt" == Matt Porter <mmporter@home.com> wrote:
>
> Matt> On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 12:49:06PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> Matt> I'm still unclear on whether the intention is to use the task
> Matt> packages as packages or to simply browse the imformation in
> Matt> their control files using apt-cache and friends from the GUI and
> Matt> then set-selection or install the dependencies thay way.
>
> Installation of the package is preferred. This is, because a task
> package idealy does not only contain the dependency, but also
> additional informations. I tried to include a good README.Debian that
> explains the installed packages quickly and gives some hints on usage
> (see task-dialup*).

Absolutely -- installation of the package is pretty much *required*, I
would say.  There are two benefits to this:  post-installation
maintenenace of these tasks as they change (i.e., we could add pkgs to
tasks in woody), and use of apt to manage the required dependancies.

Let me put this in the large context:

  - user boots with rescue disk/cd/whatever
  - user goes thru dbootstrap, installs base, etc
  - user reboots
  - now the "tasks" system on the new base system is run:
    - user acct is created
    - ask to remove PCMCIA
    - configure apt
    - ask if they want to install tasks or pkgs individually
      (maybe we should warn about how many pkgs there are)
      - if yes
        - run the little task installation gui
        - 'dpkg --set-selections <selected-tasks>'
        - 'apt-get -f install' and we should be done!
      - if no
        - run dselect

Are we agreed on this?