Re: bootable, rootable, base, and the rest

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 10:21:48PM -0500, A. P. Harris wrote:
> >  * base system -- this is pretty much all already there -- just need
> >    an http/ftp option for loading this as well.
>
> Just wanted to again mention that snarf.deb [0] gives you ftp, (proxied)
> http, and gopher support for a measly 19244 bytes. Apologies for not
> having the time/ability to work on adding this to boot-floppies myself.
>
> Cheers,
> aj
>
> [0] There's curl.deb too, which can even have https:// support apparently.
>     It's substantially bigger though, by the looks of things.

Hi,

	I just wanted to add that socks support would mean a great deal.
Just today I had to install a Linux system  within the IBM firewall,
and since the only way out was a socks proxy, I was stuck. I eventually
had to ftp the entire distribution to a machine within the firewall (using
a socksified ncftp) and then do an ftp install. Fortunately I did have the
space to store the entire distribution locally.

Regards,
Jor-el