Re: Strategy for boot-floppies

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > >    Create a 2.88MB floppy to use as ElTorito boot image.  This floppy
> > >    will contain the kernel and the root image.

It should be able to be done on a 1.44 meg boot image, but a 2.88MB floppy
would be even better.  My live cd (http://www.ocslink.com/~blunier/) boots
off a 1.44MB image, and runs a full distribution off a CD, without using
the hard drive.  One of the reasons I made it was to use it as an install
disk (besides a cool demo CD).  After booting the system, partition the
hard drive, make a file sytem, mount the file system, then copy the CD to
the mounted partition, run lilo, and reboot (removing the CD).

I haven't tried booting off a scsi disk as I don't have a scsi disk, but
ATAPI and SBPCD disks work fine.

Mark