Re: bootable, rootable, base, and the rest

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 10:21:48PM -0500, A. P. Harris wrote:
>  * rootability -- loading the root file system.  We currently have
>    this in the root.bin .
>    media: rescue disk or separate root disk, CD, TFTP
>
>    current limitations:
>
>      - we think we want both a 2.8MB option as well as 1.4MB
>      - we don't support root on a number of more exotic media,
>        such as PCMCIA floppy, ZIP drive, LS120
>      - the need to support new root.bin media would drive us to
>        create an initrd

Now, from monitoring debian-test recently, I have one more question. Maybe
this has been brought up numerous times before, maybe not.

Currently, on some systems that have certain cards installed, the Adaptec
7xxx drivers don't work when they are integrated directly with the kernel.
To circumvent this problem, an initrd needs to load the modules before the
final root filesystem is loaded.
  Is this an issue anymore with 2.2 kernels?

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.