Re: Graphical install idea

>    >    BTW: VESA is only a 'workaround'; we need more video drivers into the kernel.
>    >
>    > We can't fit them all on a boot disk, and we don't want to.
>
>    ???? Yes, we will have all of it!  Or will you have only support for one mice, ide or scsi
>    type of interfaces?
>
> Why do you need more than 16-color VGA for an installation boot disk?
> It will look just fine.  Don't confuse install-time with what's
> available after installation.

Because i have it allready in the kernel, and not only VGA. Please don't think of restricting
the kernel. You start the kernel and you have all kind of x-res/y-res/colors. You
can then say: "ok, lets take only 640x480x16" for the setup. But you don't need
an extra console-server for VGA.

>    Not all cards are vesa 2.0 compatible. So what we need is something like this:
>
> All mainstream graphics cards are VGA compatible.  Why should someone
                                    ^^^
VGA = true, but not vesa 2.0 (or was it vesa 2.1?). All newer cards are,
but for an example the older s3 cards not.

> need a 1600x1200 with 32-bit color mode to install?  It's what I run
> my X11 at all the time, but installation is a different story.

I and many other users like it to start the computer, insert the boot-floppy ...
the kernel starts ... and for me it starts in 1280x1024-256.
The kernel will do all the work, we need only some functions -- self-written or
from libggi.

> Why do you need more than 16-color VGA for an installation boot disk?
> need a 1600x1200 with 32-bit color mode to install?  It's what I run

I don't need anything. But it is there. Without any changes! Lets say it the other
way around: you make it complicated -- not all linux users uses vesafb.

I use offb with atyfb.

Greetings,

     Hartmut