Re: Graphical install idea

> Kernel 2.2 supports VESA framebuffer devices, where the mode is set by
> the bootloader using a BIOS call before the kernel is given control.
> Using this same method, a 640x480x16 framebuffer device driver could
> be written, and it could probably be made to work on 99+% of the PC
> graphics hardware out there; after all, the VGA16 X server does.

Kernel 2.2 ? <hehe> Ok this is true for Vesa, but framebuffer stuff is
more the 3 years old.

I don't like to say it, but your sentences are to i386-centric.

The great idea for fbdev is to have graphic drivers in the kernel; in the
same way as for ethernet, mice, seriall, scsi or the sucking ide.
It is no difference between console and/or x11.

Please: don't see it with the vesa eyes. You start the kernel and you
have only graphics on all machines! not only on i386.

> With this technique, I'm thinking about writing some experimental
> graphical boot disks, either from a new code base or as a plug-in
> replacement for boxes.c.  I'll also have to obtain a VGA16 kernel
> driver, or write one, of course, but I think I can do it without
> excessive pain.

VGA16 ... hmmm   a big  NO! For what? To have 16 bpp? Why not 2, 4, 8,
15, 16, 24 and 32 bit!?

Ok, let me explain a little bit:

The intention for fbdev is to have

  * kernel drivers
  * one x11 server
  * some tools to manipulate the x-y-res, colors, ...
  * no troubles anymore as for svgalib-dos on console and switching
    between console/x11 then
  * one or more (real) devices in /dev  which you can read/write to/from it

For this: where is the difference to run _one_ application under x11 _and_ console?
(not yet possible)

To do work on graphical boot-floppies you can look at libggi (the user-land interface).

But this all is only a little step forward to an x11 based installation. This is not
possible with floppies, but easily possible for cdrom. You don't need to have 20
x-servers (more or less). Just exec 'startx' with one xserver (currently two).

BTW: VESA is only a 'workaround'; we need more video drivers into the kernel.

MfG,

     Hartmut