Re: Graphical install idea

> VGA16 meaning like the VGA16 X server, i.e. 16 colors == 4 bits, not
> 16 bits.  The reason I say 16 colors is because this is the same on
> all VGA-compatible video cards from the stupidest 256K card all the
> way up the line to a Matrox Millenium II.  You do not need different
> code bases for different cards.

Right! And we don't need extra servers.

>    BTW: VESA is only a 'workaround'; we need more video drivers into the kernel.
>
> We can't fit them all on a boot disk, and we don't want to.

???? Yes, we will have all of it!  Or will you have only support for one mice, ide or scsi
type of interfaces?

Not all cards are vesa 2.0 compatible. So what we need is something like this:

if with fbdev; then
    ggilib functions for boxPopWindow(), line(), draw(), ...
else
    use dialog functions
endif

If you will do this: go ahead!