Re: Graphical install idea

Hartmut Koptein <koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de> writes:

   >    BTW: VESA is only a 'workaround'; we need more video drivers into the kernel.
   >
   > We can't fit them all on a boot disk, and we don't want to.

   ???? Yes, we will have all of it!  Or will you have only support for one mice, ide or scsi
   type of interfaces?

Why do you need more than 16-color VGA for an installation boot disk?
It will look just fine.  Don't confuse install-time with what's
available after installation.

   Not all cards are vesa 2.0 compatible. So what we need is something like this:

All mainstream graphics cards are VGA compatible.  Why should someone
need a 1600x1200 with 32-bit color mode to install?  It's what I run
my X11 at all the time, but installation is a different story.
--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."