Re: Debian Pure Blends on www.debian.org

Quoting Iain R. Learmonth (2016-01-25 18:46:24)
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 05:25:01PM +0530, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> How about the opposite?  If it is possible to install the blend in a
>> vanilla Debian stable installation, is it then a released Blend?
>>
>> DebianParl exists as a Debian Blend, in the form of either...
>>
>>   a) a Debian preseeding file
>>   b) a shell script to be executed as root
>
> Neither of which is a package in the main area of a stable release's
> archive and so not a part of a Debian release. This means it is not
> released as far as official Debian is concerned.

Let me try again...

DebianParl exists as a Debian Blend, in the form of the following steps
executed on stable Debian:

apt install boxer; boxer compose --suite jessie parl-desktop; sh script.sh

>> DebianParl as deployed in the European Parliament is a flavor which
>> covers official EU languages, and pulls in non-free parts to enable
>> the crappy wifi on the hardware used in that specific deployment.
>
> Non-free stuff is definitely not part of Debian. See policy, even if
> it is packaged in contrib/non-free this is not part of Debian.

I fully agree that the flavor of DebianParl deployed at the European
Parliament is not a pure blend.  The reason I elaborated on that
particular blend is to point out reasons for choosing a different
approach than the use of metapackages.

>> locale requirements vary for pretty much any parliament in the World
>> - and locale-specific task metapackages are too opinionated to be of
>> use (e.g. cover iceweasel but not icedove).
>
> If there was a setup tool packaged that determined requirements and
> performed configuration, like the shell script, in Debian main and
> able to operate without non-free components, and this is in a stable
> release, then I would consider the blend released.

Do boxer count as such "setup tool", given the example three commands
above?

 - Jonas