Re: Blends pages, tasks pages etc.

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 09:48:12AM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> As a first attempt, I would like here to add the total number of
>> installations from popcon
>
> I can confirm this simple patch.  However, I intentionally left this
> number out since I think it is pretty irrelevant to know how many people
> in the world have once installed the package (may be simply as a
> consequence of a metapackage dependency) but are not actually using it.
> So my initial intention was to provide real *usage* number and not the
> potentially higher number of (bit-roting) installations.  Please do not
> understand this as a veto against this number and I will not mind if
> you put it on the pages - but I want you consider the potentially no
> meaning of this number with a high "pure advertising potential".

The rationale behind it: I think that the popularity truth is somewere
in between. I have quite a number of packages installed that are
important for me, even when I use them only rarely: ftools-fv for
example. Especially in the science context, the number of important
tools is usually quite larger than the number of regularly used
tools. And for metapackages (and some other) the voting algorithm does
work at all.

> I need to say I have a bit bad gut feeling about doing the heave
> development on code that is supposed to be replaced soon.  We should
> really coordinate with Akshita to finalise the Python3 code since I see
> lots of duplicated work.  From my perspective waiting for 1-2 monthes or
> so does not harm at all.  So even if I'm really happy that the tasks
> pages coding became some dynamics it is probably not the best idea to
> push that much in this very moment.

I know; it is however also for me a question of timing (in the moment, I
can do some stuff here), and also especially packages.xhtml is currently
just a drop-in alternative to tasks.xhtml.

For the proposed addition of pop.insts, I will postpone it until january
or so. However, packages.xhtml now has all content from the tasks lists
(and some formatting improvements); you may recheck (after its run
tonight which will add popcon)

http://blends.debian.org/astro/tasks/development#all vs
http://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/astronomy-dev

and tell whether you still find that is totally unusable for your needs.

Best regards

Ole