Re: Is there a VERY minimalist "Pure Blend"

Quoting Paul Wise (2014-11-25 01:26:54)
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> My statement was more to effect that Gnome3 is an unacceptable user
>> experience. As I don't have good connectivity I'll have to wait until
>> Jessie becomes stable and I can purchase a complete DVD set to try
>> MATE. I may go with LXDE but haven't determined if I can tweak it to
>> do thing "my way".
>
> You can try jessie now, no need to wait a few months. Also no need to
> purchase a full DVD set, the first DVD contains MATE. You can also
> just apt-get install mate-desktop-environment over the Internet.

Not sure if related, but Richard mentioned need for modem support and
not other forms of network management ...

>> I find utilities to be such am personal choice that an installer
>> should NOT install a default selection.
>
> Hmm, ok. I mostly saw Debian Pure Blends as ways to get the same
> common setup as a group of people interested in a specific thing,
> rather than a way to get a Debian system that is deeply personal and
> different to everyone else. Jonas?

It only makes sense to distribute blends with Debian that is likely to
be of use to more than a single person, but I see nothing wrong in
calling it a blend even if solely used by one individual. :-)

...and so far the needs Richard describe sounds relevant for a larger
group.

 - Jonas