Re: Is there a VERY minimalist "Pure Blend"

Hi Richard,

[ I've Cc'ed you - please do tell if needed or you are subscribed ]

Quoting Richard Owlett (2014-11-23 15:42:32)
> I am not "resource poor/constrained/???", but what I'm looking for
> likely would have roots in a resource constrained embedded project.
>
> I might describe my application as "single operator", "single user"
> being used to describe something quite different.
>
> I explicitly want no server capability. There will be a 56k modem for
> email and viewing web pages.
>
> I do not play music or watch videos on my computer.
>
> I've found some attractive features in projects such as Slackware and
> Linux From Scratch. BUT I want the advantage of prepackaged programs.
>
> My ideal system would have a kernel, Gnome2, apt-get/synaptic,
> SeaMonkey and not much else.
>
> Pointers?

Do you ask as co-maintainer of such blend or as user of it?

I would love to collaborate with you on developing such a blend, and
have already tagged pieces for various definitions of "minimalist" in
Boxer, the tool I would use for this.  Thanks for sharing what you find
minimalist, I will take that into account in my classifications (I would
personally not consider GNOME minimalist, so your input is appreciated).

You wanna develop with me?  As you've already demonstrated, that does
not require you to be a Debian developer, just for you to be opinionated
and (later) test if it works as expected.  Then you can team up with
someone who can juggle the other needed parts (like me or others on this
list).

If you are not in the mood for developing, but seek something ready for
you to use, then I guess you'll have to wait a bit, as I am unaware that
it exist currently as a pure blend.  Possibly non-pure derivations of
Debian exists which suits your needs adequately, perhaps others on this
list know more and can give suggestions for that (Paul Wise, are you
listening?).

 - Jonas