Re: Is there a VERY minimalist "Pure Blend"

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> My statement was more to effect that Gnome3 is an unacceptable user
> experience. As I don't have good connectivity I'll have to wait until Jessie
> becomes stable and I can purchase a complete DVD set to try MATE. I may go
> with LXDE but haven't determined if I can tweak it to do thing "my way".

You can try jessie now, no need to wait a few months. Also no need to
purchase a full DVD set, the first DVD contains MATE. You can also
just apt-get install mate-desktop-environment over the Internet.

> I find utilities to be such am personal choice that an installer should NOT
> install a default selection.

Hmm, ok. I mostly saw Debian Pure Blends as ways to get the same
common setup as a group of people interested in a specific thing,
rather than a way to get a Debian system that is deeply personal and
different to everyone else. Jonas?

> That site explicitly claims to "be faster". I didn't find it claiming to
> meet some definition of "minimal".

The supposed speed is a side effect of it using a minimal window
manager (fluxbox) instead of GNOME.

--
bye,
pabs