Re: Debian Games Pure Blend

Hi,

On 07.08.2014 10:47, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
>> Debian Med deals mainly with highly specialized software which is
>> completely under the umbrella of one team and a few maintainers whereas
>> games are also maintained by various maintainers outside the Debian
>> Games Team and it's not obvious to know what they are currently working on.
>
> Well, I do not want to tweak your opinion but I'd call this rather a
> counter argument for your point of view.  The fact that there are
> maintainers outside the team would in my eyes be the best reason to use
> the web sentinel to gather things in one place.  The Blends framework is
> explicitly made for this purpose and what you currently see that all
> the medical software is maintained by one team is rather the effect of
> using the Blends framework rather than the reason why we are using it.

This is a chicken-and-egg problem. If those maintainers outside the
Debian Games really had wanted to work collaboratively in one team they
would have joined Debian Games a long time ago with or without Blends.
As you know it is also rather difficult to arouse interest in the Games
Team itself. These two facts combined let me believe that the underlying
problem is more complex and Blends not the solution for everything. But
I agree that having a framework for visualizing work-flows is nice.

>> For what it's worth, the web sentinel shouldn't be overstated in regard
>> to other sources like Debian's wiki or the bug tracker. There are also
>> initiatives like tagging games related wnpp bugs [1] or listing new
>> games on a wiki page and keeping [2] up-to-date.
>
> I agree that the framework can't replace the bug tracker (and it is not
> designed for it).  However it was designed after realising that the Wiki
> can't catch up with current development and even if *in theory* a Wiki
> is "always up to date" we realised that it is not and always lagging
> behind.  Moreover the feature to fetch information from VCS is saving
> you manual editing work in the Wiki[2] ... since all the information
> you are mentioning there are available
>
>    1. for free automatically
>    2. up to date with development in VCS.
>
> Believe me - I had this discussion in *every* Blend where people in the
> beginning were swearing on their (continuosely outdated ;-B) Wiki pages

A Wiki is much more useful than for just updating VCS information. :)
Indeed that would be tedious work in the long run. However a Wiki always
shines when you want to make quick changes. Everyone can contribute to
it and the barrier is much lower.

>> Nevertheless I will try to improve the visibility of new projects and
>> the web sentinel can surely play a part. I just wanted to state that we
>> shouldn't have unrealistic expectations from the web sentinel alone.
>
> Well, every team should deal with the tools that fit.  I do not want to
> push someone into using the Blends sentinel.  I just try to discuss the
> pros and cons.

No worries. I don't perceive this discussion as pushing someone in one
direction or the other. Most likely everyone has to find the ideal way
for him- or herself.

Regards,

Markus