Re: Debian Games Pure Blend

On 04.08.2014 13:33, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
> I guess I was not yet clear about listing not yet uploaded packages and
> so I'd like to work with an example.  If you look at
>
>    http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#pkgvcs-debs
>
> you se a lot of entries which are also created by simply add
>
>    Depends: acacia, mmos-assembler, apollo, ...
>
> to the bio task of Debian Med.  These entries will end up as
>
>    Suggests: acacia, mmos-assembler, apollo, ...
>
> in med-bio package which remains perfectly installable and valid despite
> the packages are not in Debian.  However, visitors of the web sentinel
> page get a clear image what we are working on.

I think I understand your point about suggesting not yet uploaded or
created packages. You basically view the web sentinel as the central hub
for all user, contributor and developer related tasks. However I think
there are some important differences between debian-med and debian-games.

Debian Med deals mainly with highly specialized software which is
completely under the umbrella of one team and a few maintainers whereas
games are also maintained by various maintainers outside the Debian
Games Team and it's not obvious to know what they are currently working on.

For what it's worth, the web sentinel shouldn't be overstated in regard
to other sources like Debian's wiki or the bug tracker. There are also
initiatives like tagging games related wnpp bugs [1] or listing new
games on a wiki page and keeping [2] up-to-date.

Nevertheless I will try to improve the visibility of new projects and
the web sentinel can surely play a part. I just wanted to state that we
shouldn't have unrealistic expectations from the web sentinel alone.

Markus

[1]
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Suggested