Re: starting a CDD on Etch

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, [ISO-8859-1] João Paulo Just wrote:

I have the same question about building a CDD. I already started it,
from etch. Created some meta-packages by hand (with dpkg) to install
some packages my CDD will provide/need and also, I created some packages
for my CDD (GTK theme, GDM theme, my CDD kernel with bootsplash, etc.).

Nice.  Why not trying to include into Debian what is missing according
to your opinion?

My doubts are about "what can be considered a CDD".

The first hit at Google if you are searching for "Custom Debian
Distribution" is

     http://wiki.debian.org/CustomDebian

Do you have any question about the terminology that is explained there?
If we try to discuss things things it is easier to use a common
terminology.  The continous misunderstanding of our terminology keeps
me wondering whether we should chnage back to something that contains
"internal"  in the name, perhaps "Internal Customisation Projects"
or something like that.  This does not mean that you are on the wrong
list because any ideas you discuss here are helpful to make Debian
better.  But the idea is to make the enhancements INSIDE Debian to
avoid reinventing the wheel over and over again.

What I'm actually
doing is: creating some packages and using them with Debian etch. Is
this a CDD? Am I on the right way?

Whether you are on the right way does not depend from the name you
gave your baby.  So according our definition it is no CDD - whether
you are on the right way can only be decided if you tell us more
about your project.

I think I need some advices. :P

So you should ask a question that might trigger a helpful answer. ;-))

PS.: The installer is being a problem too. I wrote a shell script to
install the system (copy the whole thing to a hard drive partition).

But *what* exactly is the problem.

--
Ilhéus, BA, Brasil

Are you aware of the Debian Brasil project
     http://debian-br.alioth.debian.org/  ?

I'm smelling another wheel invention ...