Re: Advancing with the Owncloud backport — JS packages still missing (due to node.js)

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> > > upstream tarball? I perfectly understand we try to reduce code
> > > duplication in our main archive, but introducing i.e. five packages in
> > > Backports as a justification for not removing what upstream already
> > > provides (and knowing for sure nothing else in Stable depends on said
> > > library) is not such a clear gain for me.
> >
> > Please, think of the kitten and put actual backports (=build from the same
> > upstream tarballs^w^wdebian packages, just modified as needed for the
> > backport) of whats in jessie into wheezy-backports!
> >
> > It's good (not bad!) to have five more packages in backports, when they are
> > clean and useful.
>
> Hello world,
>
> I have packaged most of what's needed to get the Ownloud webapp into
> backports. I have done some of the uploads, but have kept most still
> only on my dev machine (as I don't want to upload untested
> packages... As I did the first time around).
>
> Right now, I'm finally down to the point of missing only three
> packages: libjs-chosen, libjs-jquery-minicolors and libjs-pdf. Most
> other packages worked successfully in Wheezy by just rebuilding the
> packages in Testing.
>
> Now, as I said some mails ago... I am willing to package what's needd,
> but I don't want to introduce the whole archive into Backports,
> specially when dealing with packages *far* out of my
> reach/understanding.
>
> The three packages I am missing build-depend (directly or indirectly)
> on node.js — And that's a massive piece of software I don't want to be
> responsible for!
>
> So, asking again this same question I am quoting: Would you agree if,
> instead of repackaging those three packages (plus their zillion
> dependencies) I un-remove them from the build process? Yes, that will
> make the Backported package deviate slightly off the version in
> Testing, but will keep it much more contained. I understand Node.js is
> a massive piece of code+dependencies.
I don't think thats acceptable. We don't want packages derive that much from
testing.

> The bottom line is, I am sure I'm not the only person who will find an
> Owncloud backport very useful for Wheezy. I *do* commit myself to
> doing a good test of the built package before uploading, but doing the
> whole Node.js dance is way outside my scope.
>
> (...Or is there somebody willing to do that dance? If so, I could put
> the backported packages temporarily into a personal repository, and
> wait for the JS part to be ready)
let me guesss: node.js is needed for compression of javascript files anywhere
in your dependency chain? That has been resolved with using yui-compressor on
wheezy in the past.

Alex - backports ftpmaster