Re: Installing owncloud from wheezy-backports

Mike Gabriel dijo [Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 09:25:31PM +0000]:
> >Now, part of my problem will be that, as I am not a user for the
> >PHP modules themselves, I am not *really* able to test them.
>
> I have just pushed fonts-font-awesome to wheezy-backports. After
> pushing it, I saw that Alexander removed owncloud from w-b for now.
>
> For the libjs-* packages, I have discussed with the pkg-javascript
> team. We will have to upload a series of nodejs related packages to
> wheezy-backports for that (nodejs, coffeescript amongst others).
>
> @Gunnar: I still think that we should keep working on the
> provisioning of owncloud in wheezy-backports. My employer pays for
> the time I give to this, but I would also be happy to have
> company...

...And I recognize that removing an uninstallable package is the least
that could be done.

Yes, I completely want to get the Owncloud server package going. I was
thinking: in case some of the dependencies is too complicated to
package, would it be acceptable un-removing it from the provided
upstream tarball? I perfectly understand we try to reduce code
duplication in our main archive, but introducing i.e. five packages in
Backports as a justification for not removing what upstream already
provides (and knowing for sure nothing else in Stable depends on said
library) is not such a clear gain for me. And besides, given the
version will be the same as the version in testing, once testing gets
stabilized, the dependencies will be correctly fulfilled → No broken
systems for our users.

Opinions?