Re: Backporting and some hints to contribute to Debian (was: Re: nginx)

Perhaps something like "backports-unstable", or an equivalent to the useful PPA infrastructure Canonical has, would be the useful thing to have, in order to :

- have more tested software sooner (say, firefox^Wiceweasel in a recent enough version, or openoffice 3.1, but installable over a debian lenny base - very useful for managed desktops, for instance).
- being able to easily contribute packages which are user built and installable (say, a backport a user makes which another one could find useful - I've myself backported several small utilities I needed which I wouldn't post here because of my lack of inner knowledge of the code in order to maintain it, or the cromulent backporting I did - those could perhaps be useful to others).

However I understand there must be huge associated costs to the PPA infrastructure, both in hardware (and they only build for 2 or 3 architectures), bandwidth and even development.