Re: Pidgin with version patch

        Hi!

* Marko Randjelovic <marel@sbb.rs> [2008-07-20 10:13:25 CEST]:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >  Just gave it a quick try - removing the libsilc-dev build-dependency
> > works. Propably SILC should get removed from all package descriptions
> > too so that people don't think this pidgin backport would support it.
>
> I tried to build this 2.4.3, but it requires libnss3-dev >= 3.11.7-1. And look this:

 Please take a look at the changelog of the last backported version, it
contains exactly the required informations for that:

#v+
  * Do not require a specific version for libnss3-dev (the one in etch works)
#v-

> main:~/install/pidgin-2.4.3-testing# apt-get -t testing install libnss3-dev
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^

 And that's completely the wrong way to produce a backport, you do *not*
pull in binary packages from testing, /at all/.

> So, it is not possible to build these packages unless you upgrade your
> libc to 2.7.

 I'm sorry but that's completely false analysis because of false
starting point.

> I am not very experienced in this work, but I see some
> ${shlibs:Depends} stuff and so on, so I am afraid people would have to
> upgrade libc in order to use this build of pidgin. It is not the point
> of backports.

 Exactly - it's not the point of backports to pull any binary package
directly from testing, and it's not needed.

> I don't think it is very important if we have pidgin 2.3 or 2.4. But
> it is important that it can connect to ICQ. There are certainly people
> that are frustrated and that are still hoping that will appear on
> backports. So, I propose we upload this 2.3 version with ICQ version
> patch as soon as posible.

 Additional patches aren't required and an upload with that can propably
get quite easily get result in ones upload privileges to get revoked. I
wouldn't suggest anyone to follow that path.

 Sorry if this mail sounds pretty explicit, it's not meant to be
offensive. But you made some errors in your approach that I had to point
out and I hope you don't take it in the bad.

 You can find my try on <http://rhonda.deb.at/htdocs/debian/pidgin/>.
Though, I have to admit, that I found a problem in my approach, too: I
ripped off libsilc where it wasn't needed: libsilc _is_ available in
backports already. So the backport shouldn't change that part. Just
noticed it now because I wanted to compare my build log with the one
from the etch-bpo buildd farm and noticed it in there, somehow my
rmadison checks from before didn't turn it up, I don't know.

 Guido, are you reachable? Do you plan to update the pidgin backport, or
would you mind me doing it (for this time)? Would be nice to receive
anything back from you instead of overruling you.

 So long, and thanks for the notice.
Rhonda