Re: Pidgin with version patch

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  Just gave it a quick try - removing the libsilc-dev build-dependency
> works. Propably SILC should get removed from all package descriptions
> too so that people don't think this pidgin backport would support it.
>
>  Hope that helps,
> Rhonda

I tried to build this 2.4.3, but it requires libnss3-dev >= 3.11.7-1. And look this:

main:~/install/pidgin-2.4.3-testing# apt-get -t testing install libnss3-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libnss3-dev: Depends: libnss3-1d (> 3.12.0~rc3-1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libnss3-1d (< 3.12.0~rc3-3.1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
main:~/install/pidgin-2.4.3-testing# apt-get install libnss3-1d
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libnss3-1d: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch5 is to be installed
              Depends: libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.5.9) but 3.3.8-1.1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

So, it is not possible to build these packages unless you upgrade your libc to 2.7. I am not very experienced in this
work, but I see some ${shlibs:Depends} stuff and so on, so I am afraid people would have to upgrade libc in order to use
this build of pidgin. It is not the point of backports.

I don't think it is very important if we have pidgin 2.3 or 2.4. But it is important that it can connect to ICQ. There
are certainly people that are frustrated and that are still hoping that will appear on backports. So, I propose we
upload this 2.3 version with ICQ version patch as soon as posible.