Re: Issues with ekiga

Hi,

Hannes Ebner <dev@stdout.at> wrote:

> libasound2 is buggy and should be fixed in 1.0.11-4 which has not made
> it into testing yet.

Well, if you look at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=367524, the submitter
says the patch he proposed for inclusion wasn't the right one and
doesn't fix the bug...

But *the point is that ekiga works well in my sid chroot, with the very
same kernel*. Where alsa is at 1.0.11.

> So either use libasound2 1.0.10 or try the following temporary solution:
>
> <http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-list/2006-May/msg00199.html>

Doesn't change anything.

I backported the following source packages from unstable:
  - alsa-lib;
  - alsa-utils.

No change whatsoever. Then, I also backported alsa-driver (which
generates the binary packages alsa-base, alsa-source and
linux-sound-base)---but I'm still using the alsa driver from kernel
2.6.17. Interestingly, that did improve things. But the problem still
happens, although less often.

But I still have the ugly warnings:

(ekiga:12349): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

which I *don't* have at all when using ekiga in my sid chroot. So,
something is still obviously fishy on sarge+bpo.

[ My backports of ALSA packages are here, if someone wants to test:

  deb http://people.via.ecp.fr/~flo/debian sarge main
  deb-src http://people.via.ecp.fr/~flo/debian sarge main ]

OK, I rebuilt ekiga with DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip and run it under gdb
to find the origin of the GLib-GObject-CRITICAL warnings. The first ones
(8 out of 16) are output on this function call:

  fsbutton =
    gtk_file_chooser_button_new_with_backend (_("Choose a sound"),
                                              GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_OPEN,
                                              backend);
in src/gui/preferences.cpp, line 865.

If someone knows where to go from here, he's welcome to chime in. :-)

BTW: ekiga from bpo doesn't build with debhelper from bpo, because of
     this:

     debhelper (4.9.8.1) unstable; urgency=low

       * NMU with maintainer approval.
       * dh_gconf: delegate schema registration the gconf-schemas
         script, which moves schemas to /var/lib/gconf, and require
         gconf2 2.10.1-2, where it can be found. Closes: #327209

     I had to downgrade debhelper to the version in sarge.

> <http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-list/2006-May/msg00283.html>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=367524>
> <https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2095>
> <https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2122>

Thanks for the pointers, but I didn't find anything that really helps
here.

Regards,

--
Florent