Re: How to install OpenOffice 2.0 backport? Unmet dependencies

Hi,

Thomas Walter wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 14:42, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > > Does openoffice.org's database package really need Java? Can it work
> > > with just unixodbc?
> >
> > You can use it with MySQL etc of course with unixodbc. but the internal
> > engine is hsqldb. which is Java. That's why it depends on Java, most
> > "normal" users would want the internal db...
> >
> I can't believe your last statement about the internal db.
> The big advantage in using of a db is to access the data from any
> applications either to read or to add info in a uniq place and not to
> create another db for any application.

Don't tell that me..
I agree with you. I just said that many "DAU"s just don't care about
external dbs and so. like the M$ Access people. Which Base was intended
for from Sun.

And since the internal stuff uses hsqldb which is Java the package
depends on *some* Java. For users which simply want to install -base and
then might wonder why it doesn't work..

Regards,

Rene