Re: How to install OpenOffice 2.0 backport? Unmet dependencies

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 14:42, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > Does openoffice.org's database package really need Java? Can it work
> > with just unixodbc?
>
> You can use it with MySQL etc of course with unixodbc. but the internal
> engine is hsqldb. which is Java. That's why it depends on Java, most
> "normal" users would want the internal db...

I can't believe your last statement about the internal db.
The big advantage in using of a db is to access the data from any
applications either to read or to add info in a uniq place and not to
create another db for any application.
Overthe past several years, I read lots of mails and recipes about
effort and success in implementing/using interfaces to postgres/mysql.

Kind Regards,
Thomas