Re: Welcome to debian-astro!

On 2014-08-12 10:20, Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
On 2014-08-12 09:00, Ole Streicher wrote:
Hi Michael,

I just accepted your request to join debian-astro. Welcome!

You write that you already have some experience with packaging,
especially gildas.
There was an earlier attempt to bring Gildas into Debian [1], but it
did not finish.

It appears that the last attempt failed due to some uncertainties with
the license of gildas. Their homepage still says: "GILDAS is freely
available to non-profit institutes on an "as-is" basis. No warranty at
all is expressed or implied. We are thinking about going to LGPL." But
that copyright notice seems to be dated 23-may-2004!

I have also been in contact with the upstream maintainers at IRAM who
seemed to be interested in my packaging efforts, but they never got back
to me.

Good morning,

I am one of the resident systems engineer at IPAG (right next door to
IRAM) and have people to which I can talk directly about packaging gildas.

If you need my help, don't hesitate.

Raphael

Thanks Raphael, from IRAM I would like to know if
- they have started any packaging activities themselves, and
- if they did think about a proper license

Apart from that I would have the following questions:

1) on the bugs.debian.org page related to gildas, I find the following text:

  If you are still interested in packaging gildas, please send a mail to
  <control@bugs.debian.org> with:

   retitle 694637 ITP: gildas -- Radioastronomy data analysis software
   owner 694637 !

Is that how I reopen this bug, even when I am not the person who sent the original ITP? If yes, would I send this as the subject line or the body of the email?

2) I am not sure how to write a copyright file when upstream doesn't have a proper copyright notice. I tried to follow the relevant documentation, but lintian keeps complaining... I have tried both free format and machine readable.

3) gildas consists of quite a number of executables which typically end up in a directory which the user needs to add to her path. My package does just that and contains the startup script to set the relevant environment variables. I put everything under /usr/share/gildas/bin. Again, lintian is not very happy about this...

4) Am I obliged to use a pbuilder environment (for testing or unstable?) or can I begin by creating a lintian compliant package in my current Ubuntu and/or LMDE setup?

/Michael