Re: Welcome to debian-astro!

On 2014-08-12 09:00, Ole Streicher wrote:
Hi Michael,

I just accepted your request to join debian-astro. Welcome!

You write that you already have some experience with packaging, especially gildas.
There was an earlier attempt to bring Gildas into Debian [1], but it did not finish.

It appears that the last attempt failed due to some uncertainties with the license of gildas. Their homepage still says: "GILDAS is freely available to non-profit institutes on an "as-is" basis. No warranty at all is expressed or implied. We are thinking about going to LGPL." But that copyright notice seems to be dated 23-may-2004!

I have also been in contact with the upstream maintainers at IRAM who seemed to be interested in my packaging efforts, but they never got back to me.

Btw, instructions for using my local repository of Ubuntu packages are available via

http://nain.oso.chalmers.se/oso/ubuntu/README.txt

Would you like create an official Debian package for it? Do you have any other package in mind?

Possibly, but my motive to join the group was mainly to lend a hand with the astropy and possibly casacore packaging ;-).

Best regards

Ole

cheers,
Michael