Re: Welcome to debian-astro!

Hi Michael,

Michael Olberg <olberg.michael@gmail.com> writes:
> 1) on the bugs.debian.org page related to gildas, I find the following text:
>
>   If you are still interested in packaging gildas, please send a mail to
>   <control@bugs.debian.org> with:
>
>    retitle 694637 ITP: gildas -- Radioastronomy data analysis software
>    owner 694637 !
>
> Is that how I reopen this bug, even when I am not the person who sent the
> original ITP? If yes, would I send this as the subject line or the body of the
> email?

The Bug 694637 is actually a "Request For Package", which was converted
from an ITP because it was not successfull.

If you want to do the packaging, you should send the lines mentioned
above in the mail body. The subject is irrelevant. Since it is now a
*request*, it is not important that you were not the original owner. The
second line ("owner 694637 !") will make you the owner -- which is
correct since you are actually the one doing the job now.

> 2) I am not sure how to write a copyright file when upstream doesn't have a
> proper copyright notice. I tried to follow the relevant documentation, but
> lintian keeps complaining... I have tried both free format and machine
> readable.

Please use the machine readable format.

To go thought these problems, it would be nice if you could create a git
repository on alioth, so that we can checkout what you did so far and
see where the problem ist.

> 3) gildas consists of quite a number of executables which typically end up in
> a directory which the user needs to add to her path. My package does just that
> and contains the startup script to set the relevant environment variables. I
> put everything under /usr/share/gildas/bin. Again, lintian is not very happy
> about this...

.... since /usr/share needs to be machine independent, right? Compiled
binaries are not machine independent, so (if you dont want to have them
in /usr/bin/), they could go into /usr/lib/gildas/ or a subdir.

However: I think it would be better to have them in /usr/bin, and have
their names unique. Would this be possible?

> 4) Am I obliged to use a pbuilder environment (for testing or unstable?) or
> can I begin by creating a lintian compliant package in my current Ubuntu
> and/or LMDE setup?

I myself started just on Ubuntu. But it is really tricky to test all the
build requirements then -- one tends to forget one or the other since
they are already installed on the local system. Also, sometimes Ubuntu
*is* different from Debian, and sometimes Debian unstable is just newer
than Ubuntu (and build requirements changed).

So, while it is possible to use your local environment to create a
package, I would strongly recommend to setup a pbuilder environment.

Best regards

Ole