Re: found net prob, temp fixed. installed xfce4, how to autostart it?

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:31:24AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 September 2017 17:57:59 Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> > And again, all the best.
> Thank you Andy. But something has changed here on this wheezy box, and
> the xfce4 default terminal, terminal-0.4.8 has suddenly become a
> disappearing act, so I'm now trying Konsole from my TDE install. None of
> the other terminals have the features I need, like tabs.
>
> However it seems I still have locale problems.
>
> >From the rock64's sshd session:
>
> rock64@rock64:~$ sudo -i
> [sudo] password for rock64:
> root@rock64:~# tasksel install LXDE
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> root@rock64:~#
>
> And it did not do anything.

dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales

as root.

the -plow stands for Priority Low - so it asks you all the questions, just like
in an expert install.

Again as root

tasksel

Just run the command, wait, then you get a curses style  interface

Select something then toggle the selection with space bar then tab to
OK.

So

tasksel

Select XFCE then tab to OK and hit enter

That would install XFCE.
Debian desktop on its own will, by default, install GNOME which is
probably too big.

Hope this helps,

Andy C.