Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

On 08/01/17 18:00, Alan Corey wrote:
No luck with that here either, it would be very handy to have.  But
then I'm using an HDMI->VGA adapter and my monitor is ancient.  I
think the standard was that when horizontal and vertical sync pulses
both go away the monitor's supposed to immediately switch off or after
a delay period.  An adapter shouldn't interfere with that.  Never
happens though.

> On 1/8/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>> Greetings folks;
>>
>> Running LXDE.

Watching the thread with interest. We use pukka Debian here installed on top of Raspbian (in order to get the most up to date loader and RPi kernel). /However/, we select KDE as the window manager AKA desktop, and in general screens stay up etc. as configured.

Having said that, one of my colleagues is experiencing problems where all of a sudden the RPi or HDMI-connected monitor stops displaying anything. Disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI appears to fix that, but nothing relevant is logged explaining the outage; hence we agree that

X needs to talk to the GPU better.

although we'd note that we see not-dissimilar problems on an Odroid C2, so (and in an effort to keep this OT) there might be generic problems affecting multiple ARM platforms and Debian derivatives.

I find that an RPi 2 or 3 drives its HDMI in such a way that a passive adapter suffices to drive an NEC Multisync LCD (specifically, an 1860NX). So even if ones budget doesn't run to an HDMI monitor or TV, there's a fair number of these on eBay.

Apart from that we use classic IBM keyboards here, which are fairly resistant to foreign bodies and for which it certainly used to be possible to get squishy covers to keep (in the case of one of our former customers) printing ink out.

Of course a lot depends on what colour the swarf is glowing :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk