Re: xset +dpms is not controlling monitor powerdown on raspberry pi 3b

No luck with that here either, it would be very handy to have.  But
then I'm using an HDMI->VGA adapter and my monitor is ancient.  I
think the standard was that when horizontal and vertical sync pulses
both go away the monitor's supposed to immediately switch off or after
a delay period.  An adapter shouldn't interfere with that.  Never
happens though.

I installed some extra stuff (maybe, it was 6 months or more ago):

pi2# apropos dpms
DPMSCapable (3)      - returns the DPMS capability of the X server
DPMSDisable (3)      - disables DPMS on the specified display
DPMSEnable (3)       - enables DPMS on the specified display
DPMSForceLevel (3)   - forces a DPMS capable display into the specified power...
DPMSGetTimeouts (3)  - retrieves the timeout values used by the X server for ...
DPMSGetVersion (3)   - returns the version of the DPMS extension implemented ...
DPMSInfo (3)         - returns information about the current DPMS state
DPMSQueryExtension (3) - queries the X server to determine the availability o...
DPMSSetTimeouts (3)  - permits applications to set the timeout values used by...
pi2#
Some of those look like functions to be called from C in a program.
This is on a Pi 3B under Raspbian Jessie.

Searching in the Pi forums for dpms gets a bunch of hits, but
different people are looking for different things like how to keep the
monitor always on. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/  I wanted to
turn it completely off, including the backlight.

My guess is that it has to do with the GPU and how well X functions
are/aren't implemented.  If you're in Raspbian take a look at
tvservice (no man page) which seems to be about the only thing that
connects to the GPU.  I just did tvservice --off and had to ssh in
from another box, short of rebooting.  Backlight was still on though.
Unplugging the monitor's power cord and plugging back in did nothing
so it didn't *really* turn the monitor off.  tvservice is also unique
in letting you change video modes on the fly, otherwise you need to
put a change into /boot/config.txt and reboot.  Straight Debian on a
Pi, I've no idea.

X needs to talk to the GPU better.

On 1/8/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings folks;
>
> Running LXDE.
>
> And xset dpms q returns:
> DPMS (Energy Star):
>   Standby: 450    Suspend: 600    Off: 900
>   DPMS is Enabled
>   Monitor is On
>
> At the end of its report, and the monitor was manually powered down when
> I left the area around 6 pm last night, so it obviously has no knowledge
> of the monitors real status.
>
> Is my install missing some utility X11 thing?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX