Re: sheeveplug new u-boot - just to make sure I've got it right...

On Jan 22, 2016, at 2:34 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I found it now: change "ARM: sheevaplug: change env location".
> Fortunately, that change was right before 2014.10 (which we have in
> jessie).  So upgrading from 2014.10 to 2016.01 or later wouldn't be an
> issue.

So just to make sure I've got it right...

If your Sheevaplug has a u-boot version prior to 2014.10+dfsg1-5, including any of the original "Marvell" versions, the environment is located at 0x60000 and this should be reflected in the "Device offset" field in /etc/fw_env.config file.

If your Sheevaplug has a u-boot version of 2014.10+dfsg1-5, e.g. if you upgraded u-boot while running Debian Jessie, of 2016.01+dfsg1-1 or later, from Debian Stretch or later, the environment is located at 0x80000 and this should, in turn, be reflected in the "Device offset" field in /etc/fw_env.config file.

The reason for this is that versions of the u-boot.kwb binary prior to 2014.10 were shorter than 0x60000 (three erase pages in the MTD flash), so it made sense to locate the environment there -- at the beginning of the fourth erase page.

But with the 2014.10 version and later, the u-boot.kwb binary had grown and now encroached upon part of the fourth erase page.  This meant that the environment had to move up one erase page to 0x80000.

If this is correct, it needs to be reflected in a README file in, for example, the /usr/share/doc/u-boot-tools/examples directory.  And a pointer to that README needs to be placed in /usr/share/doc/u-boot-tools/examples/sheevaplug.config

Does this also apply (verbatim, or with some changes) to other armel (and armhf?) devices?  E.g. the OpenRD and mx6cuboxi devices?

Should I send a wishlist bug against u-boot-tools to this effect?

Thanks very much for all you help on this!

Rick