Re: Debian uboot vs installer vs repositories incompatible versions

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 01:15:47PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 12:37 +0100, Krutzbeuazen wrote:

> > > I'd suggest that you follow the instructions from your second link,
> > > which should Just Work: [2]
> >
> > I tried that approach. The 325kb sized "Cubietruck.sdcard.img" does not
> > contain a valid partition table. It does seem to boot *something*, so I
> > guess it's not much more than a uboot, which resides in the first
> > sectors of the SD-card in front of any partition.

That is correct, the Cubietruck.sdcard.img.gz from the "uboot"
directory contains only u-boot and nothing else.  It is intended to be
used to get u-boot up from an SD card, so that an installer image can
then be booted from another medium, be it from a USB stick or by tftp
over the network.

> Once you've booted the u-boot from [2] then you can follow the
> instructions at
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Install_Using_Debian-Installer to actually do an install.
>
> Karsten was working on a full sdcard image, with all the bits in it, but
> I'm not sure what the status of that is.

The patches to build those sd card images including the installer are
ready, but they are still awaiting approval by the debian-installer
release manager.  Therefore they are not yet included in the daily
builds.

> > As is probably obvious, I am even clueless on what direction I shall try
> > to go? Linux-Sunxi uboot, or Debian uboot, what surrounding to create so
> > the Debian installer feels at home, kernel-wise, what is with that
> > "non-partitiontable" image? Sorry for all the low-level noise here.
>
> I'd recommend to use all Debian stuff, following the Debian instruction,
> since that is something we can (try to) support you with on this list.

For now the easiest way to install on the Cubietruck is using the
USB-based "hd-media style" installer as described in
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Installing_from_a_USB_stick:

a) create an SD card with u-boot from
   http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/20150322-00:30/u-boot/Cubietruck/Cubietruck.sdcard.img.gz
   as described at
   https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Creating_a_bootable_SD-Card_with_u-boot

b) Unpack the tarball at
   http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/hd-media/hd-media.tar.gz
   onto a FAT16/FAT32/ext2/ext3/ext4-formatted USB stick and copy the
   CD ISO image from
   http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/armhf/iso-cd/debian-testing-armhf-CD-1.iso
   onto the USB stick as well.

c) Plug both the SD card and the USB stick into your Cubietruck and
   power the system on. This will load u-boot from the SD card, which
   will then check for a boot script on the USB stick and load the
   installer from the stick.

Please note that you need a serial console cable for this; the u-boot
version in Debian does not have support for a graphical console on
HDMI.

HTH,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der