Re: Debian uboot vs installer vs repositories incompatible versions

On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 12:37 +0100, Krutzbeuazen wrote:
> Thank you, Ian, for your reply and help.
>
> >> uname -a tells me "Linux 3.18.0-00018-g1f4f514
> > This is not the Debian installer kernel, or even one which is in
> > Debian, where did it come from?
>
> I suppose the kernel comes from the linux-sunxi "bootenvironment" [1].
> So the Debian installer doesn't run its own kernel?

It _should_ use its own kernel, but the tools you are using appear to be
using some other one, so it doesn't work.

Since those tools are not supplied by Debian if you want to carry on
with that approach then I suggest you ask for help on the linux-sunxi
lists, since it is something created there and not by Debian.

>  Would there be a way
> to chroot into a Debian installer-friendly environment? Maybe when
> booting a different SD-card image, with a full and working Debian
> installation? I'll google that.
>
> > I'd suggest that you follow the instructions from your second link,
> > which should Just Work: [2]
>
> I tried that approach. The 325kb sized "Cubietruck.sdcard.img" does not
> contain a valid partition table. It does seem to boot *something*, so I
> guess it's not much more than a uboot, which resides in the first
> sectors of the SD-card in front of any partition.

Once you've booted the u-boot from [2] then you can follow the
instructions at
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Install_Using_Debian-Installer to actually do an install.

Karsten was working on a full sdcard image, with all the bits in it, but
I'm not sure what the status of that is.

> As is probably obvious, I am even clueless on what direction I shall try
> to go? Linux-Sunxi uboot, or Debian uboot, what surrounding to create so
> the Debian installer feels at home, kernel-wise, what is with that
> "non-partitiontable" image? Sorry for all the low-level noise here.

I'd recommend to use all Debian stuff, following the Debian instruction,
since that is something we can (try to) support you with on this list.

Ian.