Re: Debian uboot vs installer vs repositories incompatible versions

Thank you, Ian, for your reply and help.

>> uname -a tells me "Linux 3.18.0-00018-g1f4f514
> This is not the Debian installer kernel, or even one which is in
> Debian, where did it come from?

I suppose the kernel comes from the linux-sunxi "bootenvironment" [1].
So the Debian installer doesn't run its own kernel? Would there be a way
to chroot into a Debian installer-friendly environment? Maybe when
booting a different SD-card image, with a full and working Debian
installation? I'll google that.

> I'd suggest that you follow the instructions from your second link,
> which should Just Work: [2]

I tried that approach. The 325kb sized "Cubietruck.sdcard.img" does not
contain a valid partition table. It does seem to boot *something*, so I
guess it's not much more than a uboot, which resides in the first
sectors of the SD-card in front of any partition.
I am lost on how to turn a "bootable uboot SD-card" into a "SD-card
which starts Debian-installer".

In case it helps, here are some logs:

The output on the 'screen' serial connection:
http://paste.debian.net/162518/

The hardware-summary as created by Debian installer:
http://paste.debian.net/162519/

The syslog as created by Debian-installer:
http://paste.debian.net/162520/

As is probably obvious, I am even clueless on what direction I shall try
to go? Linux-Sunxi uboot, or Debian uboot, what surrounding to create so
the Debian installer feels at home, kernel-wise, what is with that
"non-partitiontable" image? Sorry for all the low-level noise here.

My next step will be to try to bootstrap the Debian installer from
another, working, insufficient Debian setup.

Thank you for reading all this and bearing with me,

Manuel

[1] http://linux-sunxi.org/SD_card_based_installer
[2]
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner#Creating_a_bootable_SD-Card_with_u-boot