Debian uboot vs installer vs repositories incompatible versions

Dear list,

I am trying to install Debian on my Cubietruck (think Raspberry Pi with
Allwinner A20 ARM SOC). I made me a bootable SD card with the Debian
installer [1], which comes from linux-sunxi, and is supposed to run on
any Allwinner platform. However, to run on my board, it needed a new
uboot, which I got from the Debian daily builds [2].
[Someone guessed this is because my particular board doesn't run on some
DRAM timings which are supposed to be safe]

I can now boot that SD card, the Debian installer starts as well. At
some point I get an error that it could not load a few modules, and that
it could not find a compatible kernel (modules) in the repository.
uname -a tells me "Linux 3.18.0-00018-g1f4f514 #1 SMP Mon Dec 15
16:51:47 EET 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux".

The installer tries to install Jessie, and as far as I can see
"linux-headers-3.16.0-4-all" is the latest one in the repositories?

I have logs from the failed setup attempt, but couldn't find any more
interesting info.

I am a bit lost here. Do I need to downgrade the uboot? Or other
components? Would that be the sunxi "boot environment", or the "Debian
setup installer environment"?

[FYI, I believe it is necessary for me to run Debian installer, as I
want to use LUKS system encryption. For this I need an initramfs. I
could not find a readymade Debian image for the cubietruck with an
initramfs onboard, and ran into troubles trying to build my own
initramfs. So now I try to install a regular Debian, with everything I
need right from the beginning]

I am grateful for any pointers.

Manuel

[1] http://linux-sunxi.org/SD_card_based_installer