Re: DTBs in cd images, kexec & installer testing

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 19:55:41 -0700
Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:57:15AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:39 -0700
> > Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> > > I've been enabling things like bootz and ext4 support in recently
> > > added boards in Debian's u-boot, I can look into enabling for the
> > > mx53loco board if that would be helpful, although it sounds like
> > > you're using whatever u-boot is shipped with the boards?
> >
> > Yes, LAVA needs clearer support for the bootloader itself, but in my
> > home lab I'm free to change bootloaders around. When you say
> > Debian's u-boot, how are you anticipating that to be deployed on
> > the imx53? Are you describing the u-boot inside the Debian
> > Installer ISO images or a particular build/package of u-boot for
> > iMX53?
>
> I'm referring to the u-boot package, which includes the mx53loco
> build of a u-boot image:

Yes, I've been hobbling along with the vendor u-boot and then with an
old Linaro build of u-boot. Time to use the Debian builds which I'd
completely missed. Thanks!

> Maybe mx53loco is not the iMX53 board you're referring to?

It is, yes.

> I don't believe it's included with any debian-installer images, but
> I've been thinking about the possibility to have fully bootable
> debian-installer images for platforms that could support this,
> possibly including u-boot where appropriate, rather than requiring a
> lot of manual configuration by users.

I'd like that too.

It would also be nice to have an initrd for DI which has got a u-boot
header already in place, alongside the existing one in the daily builds.

> For example, I recently created a debian-installer image on microSD
> for the Cubox-i by copying the u-boot image to the appropriate sector
> on the SD, created a partition layout and filesystem on the first
> partition of the card, copied vmlinuz and initrd.gz from the daily
> armhf builds, wrote a text file with u-boot commands, used mkimage to
> turn that into a boot script for u-boot, and copied the boot script
> onto the SD card in a place that u-boot would find it.

Sounds like something LAVA would be able to automate and test
routinely. Either to the point of proving that DI simply boots or using
pre-seeding to complete a full install.

The issue in LAVA at the moment is that the SD card with some boards has
a particular partition layout and only a bit of it is open to being used
for the test image. We're working on fixing that.

However, for devices which can support media like SATA (or even USB
sticks), something like that would work nicely. I would like to do that
for cubie2, cubietruck, mx53loco and imx6q-wandboard - all using SATA.
I'd forego the SD card layout, turn the devices into "default initrd" /
bootloader devices (where the SD card is up for grabs) and test that
way.

Dare say it could also be used to install onto the NAND of a BBB -
boot the board over tftp, make sure /dev/mmcblk0 is visible, deploy
the installer SD image, reboot with commands set to run the installer
from SD to install onto the NAND. Rinse and repeat.
;-)

The part I haven't got working yet is a full set of bootargs and
preseed file to automate the entire install. If the preseed file could
go into that SD card image, it would be a lot easier. (The default
bootargs wouldn't use the preseed but LAVA can easily interrupt the
bootloader and tweak bootargs to add the preseed location.)

> I'd like to automate that process for a few reasonably well supported
> platforms, as there are quite a few places it can go wrong if
> everyone is doing it manually...

I did a similar thing to create an image based on Debian ARMMP for the
mx53loco in my home lab. I haven't updated the image because doing it
manually took too long.

http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/?p=49

:-)

--