Re: DTBs in images, kexec & installer testing

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:39 -0700
Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 02:15:16PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:48:54 +0100
> > Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> > > As a route to the default packaged ARMMP kernel.
> >
> > ... and because some boards still don't tftp boot in a sane way
> > (imx53). i.e. there is no bootz command on the u-boot I have on the
> > imx53 by default.
>
> I've been enabling things like bootz and ext4 support in recently
> added boards in Debian's u-boot, I can look into enabling for the
> mx53loco board if that would be helpful, although it sounds like
> you're using whatever u-boot is shipped with the boards?

I was, yes, but I'd like to update it and I have tried the current
u-boot:armhf image but I get failures:

bootz ${kernel_addr_r} ${initrd_addr_r} ${fdt_addr_r}
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!

"dtb":
"http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/device-tree/imx53-qsb.dtb";,
"kernel":
"http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/vmlinuz";,
"ramdisk":
"http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/initrd.gz";

This works for the imx6q-wandboard, not for mx53loco, so enabling bootz
would be helpful - ext4 I'm less fussed about but it would be nice to
have as long as it isn't going to require a lot of work.

I'm trying to develop test routines for as many boards and as many
methods as possible.

* only u-boot on the SD card, install onto SATA (or even SD) using DI
* only u-boot on the SD card, boot a known kernel & initrd, copy
  pre-installed images onto SATA/SD via the shell
* user downloaded complete images which can be written to the SD card
  * reboot into the installer for SATA install
  * boot a fully installed system on either SD or SATA.
* boot a known kernel & bootstrap a system onto media, reboot into it

If some of those need kexec, that can be done - it would just be a
variant of what gets put onto the SD card initially.

Ideally, also the ability to connect a pre-written SATA drive to a
board with no SD card & boot it but that usually gets into dip switches
or hardware-specific mods, at least for ARMv7 dev boards.

The iMX53, iMX6q, cubie2, cubietruck and BBB support (where possible)
will all be as flexible as I can make it. LAVA currently has some
assumptions about partition layout etc. and this is part of moving away
from that model, so this is an ideal time to make sure the new model
works with Debian daily builds and bootstraps.

One of my current blockers is the lack of modules - it would be nice to
be able to boot the daily netboot kernel & initrd but have access to the
kernel modules from the same build. This allows the daily build kernel
to be tested independently of DI and without needing to build a whole
rootfs or use qemu to upgrade the kernel inside the image. Of course,
standard upgrades using apt inside the image can be done too but it's
quicker and more flexible if the modules could be downloaded from
within the initrd.

How easy might it be to have the modules.tgz alongside the vmlinuz at
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/ ?

I was wondering about downloading core-modules-3.14-1-armmp-di and
simply unpacking it....

--

Neil Williams