DTBs in cd images, kexec & installer testing

I'm experimenting with ways to make ARM Debian installer images
available for testing on real ARM hardware via the linux-image-armmp
support and LAVA.

I've done some basic testing with ARMMP on iMX.53 and I have a variety
of other boards available at home for testing. (BeagleBoneBlack,
arndale, iMx6.wandboard-quad, panda, cubie2, cubietruck, likely an
ODroid XU-3 soon.)

http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/?p=49

This testing is done in my home LAVA lab - the continuous integration
framework developed by Linaro for ARM and now available in Debian.

https://packages.debian.org/unstable/lava-server

LAVA is reaching out to the community to make it easier to support
community tests and this can include me running tests inside Linaro as
well as official Debian testing (DSA have already expressed an
interest in testing x86, ARM and possibly other architectures).

The big issue with testing installers on ARM is the variability in
bootloaders and device support. What LAVA can provide is a common base.
A known working Linaro kernel/bootloader combination could get the
board to a known state and then use kexec to boot into the ARMMP
kernel. The first kernel would need to also be using device tree and a
similar vintage but this could act as an incentive to get device
support into mainline and hence to be available in ARMMP.

There is work to do in LAVA to make this easier but upstream have
already designed just this kind of support and I'll be one of the
upstream developers implementing the design. This same work could also
be used for other distributions but as LAVA now uses Debian exclusively
for all our development and production testing, Debian gets first call
as a thank you and to ensure that whatever Debian needs can be included
into the new design.

What needs to happen in Debian is to make the dtb available to a kexec
call inside the ISO.

In turn, this needs a consensus on where the correct path would be to
put all of the DTBs from the ARMMP kernel inside the ISO. It's only
going to be about 5Mb, so it's not an issue in terms of size.

With the path declared and a bit of device configuration in LAVA to
specify which DTB to use for which type of device, it would be possible
to test ARM installer images on a variety of ARM hardware as a CI loop.

Initially, it would simply be to boot the installer. With the upstream
changes already planned, deployment to SATA will be supported on
devices with working SATA support. NFS and USB would also be available
for other devices. So some version of FAI would be possible.

Proposal: /boot/dtbs/ ?

--

Neil Williams