Re: DTBs in cd images, kexec & installer testing

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:57:15AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:39 -0700
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 02:15:16PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:48:54 +0100
> > > Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> > > ... and because some boards still don't tftp boot in a sane way
> > > (imx53). i.e. there is no bootz command on the u-boot I have on the
> > > imx53 by default.
> >
> > I've been enabling things like bootz and ext4 support in recently
> > added boards in Debian's u-boot, I can look into enabling for the
> > mx53loco board if that would be helpful, although it sounds like
> > you're using whatever u-boot is shipped with the boards?
>
> Yes, LAVA needs clearer support for the bootloader itself, but in my
> home lab I'm free to change bootloaders around. When you say Debian's
> u-boot, how are you anticipating that to be deployed on the imx53? Are
> you describing the u-boot inside the Debian Installer ISO images or a
> particular build/package of u-boot for iMX53?

I'm referring to the u-boot package, which includes the mx53loco build of a
u-boot image:

  https://packages.qa.debian.org/u/u-boot.html

Maybe mx53loco is not the iMX53 board you're referring to?

I don't believe it's included with any debian-installer images, but I've been
thinking about the possibility to have fully bootable debian-installer images
for platforms that could support this, possibly including u-boot where
appropriate, rather than requiring a lot of manual configuration by users.

For example, I recently created a debian-installer image on microSD for the
Cubox-i by copying the u-boot image to the appropriate sector on the SD,
created a partition layout and filesystem on the first partition of the card,
copied vmlinuz and initrd.gz from the daily armhf builds, wrote a text file
with u-boot commands, used mkimage to turn that into a boot script for u-boot,
and copied the boot script onto the SD card in a place that u-boot would find
it.

I'd like to automate that process for a few reasonably well supported
platforms, as there are quite a few places it can go wrong if everyone is
doing it manually...

live well,
  vagrant