Re: recommend a netbook for Debian deployment?

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 11:16:05PM +0000, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> On 6 November 2013 23:06, Luc Verhaegen <libv@skynet.be> wrote:
>
> >> Cool. But I guess the A10 GPU (Mali400) is pretty basic compared to
> >> the aforementioned PowerVR?
> >
> > Not really. Mali400 is a pretty respectable package still,
>
> Thanks! And speaking of this - is it true that the VIA 8850 also has
> Mali400, and how does that version compare to the ones in A10 and A20?
>
> While the open hardware projects are very interesting, anytime soon I
> can only get the dx.com etc Chinese stuff. And the netbooks that have
> things I like (HDMI, 1 GB RAM) tend to be based o the VIA 8850.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WonderMedia

Beware of the ton of issues you will have with any ARM platform. Issues
which are largely fixed, or getting fixed, by the linux-sunxi community
for allwinner.

As for netbooks, that format is not too popular right now, so the cheap
chinese sweatshops are not churning many out. Lkcls tablet project is
turning out to be quite a lot of painstaking work, and taking much
longer than anyone expected. Perhaps his tablet experience will open the
door for an a20 based netbook in the next 6-12 months :)

Luc Verhaegen.