Re: recommend a netbook for Debian deployment?

+++ Mikhail Ramendik [2013-11-05 21:39 +0000]:
> Hello,
>
> Sites like DX.com have very nice small netbooks with specs I like -
> notably, 1 GB RAM and HDMI (so they can be used with a separate
> monitor when at home). Most of them are based on VIA 8850, and all of
> them run Android. I don't want Android, and would like to run Debian
> instead. (I run Debian on my Intel desktop for a few years now).
>
> I would very much appreciate recommendation of a particular model
> where someone has already succeeded in deploying Debian. I don't
> really know how to get into the boot loader etc, so would prefer to
> learn from someone who did. The ideal configuration would be a dual
> boot for Debian/Android, in case I ever need an Android app.

These people support linux on cheap tablets:
https://pengpod.com/products
(dual boot with android - linux on the SD, but a lot more open than most
random hardware you can buy)

I don't actually know how well-supported Debian is. Check the forums.

And the KDE plasma tablet is about to be announced (so I hear). Not sure
exactly how long before you can buy one. Probably a couple of months or so, so
definitely not 'available today'.

I'm holding out for one of those as it has been designed to be
free-software all the way through and (mostly) open hardware.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/