Re: Porting for dummies?

I'm subscribed, no need to CC me.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

> Well, I can temporarily install the binary blobs, can't I? These ones:
> http://linux-sunxi.org/Binary_drivers . They even have a rebuilt package
> specifically for debian. I know I'm on my own re stability of that. But then
> eventually, as I hope, LIMA will mature and make it into Debian.

I tend to avoid proprietary things at all costs. I think it would be a
much more productive use of your time to try out the in-development
lima drivers, which are faster than the proprietary MALI driver anyway
and probably more stable.

> Aha - thanks! It's actually a Debian i686 system but it would fit even
> better (current arm architectures are 32 bit).

There is no Debian i686 architecture yet, are you using a Debian
derivative? In any case you should write your code in a portable way
so it can work on every architecture. Don't assume 32-bit, don't
assume little-endian, don't assume memory layout, don't assume
unaligned memory access is OK. Debian architectures alone have a wide
variety of characteristics and there are architectures Debian doesn't
support yet.

https://wiki.debian.org/ArchitectureSpecificsMemo

--
bye,