Re: recommend a netbook for Debian deployment?

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:38:49PM +0000, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> I don't *want* them, but I do want performance. And I'm somewhat used
> to them, although in the previous hardware the reason was simply
> pushing to the limits and overheating.
>
> Which means there is a working open source driver?

No there isn't.  Intel majorly screwed up when they decided to license
the SGX535 for the atom.  Apparently whoever decided that was a good
idea didn't understand that intel in general likes open source.

Well there is an open source driver, but it has NO accaleration support
at all.  It is marginally better than using VESA.

> Still wondering about that. If I could have a C-50 device it would be
> just purrrfection.
>
> The driver project is http://limadriver.org/ and appears to be a
> reverse-engineering attempt.

That doesn't mean the driver exists in a usuable state yet.  But it
looks like good progress is happening.

> OK, full disclosure - my wife is a musician and she uses a lot of PDF
> scores. A 9+ inch non-widescreen display would finally give her an
> alternative to paper. (GNU/Linux is not essential for the task, but if
> there was a tablet+keyboard of this format and with GNU/Linux, it
> would work for both her and me).

True, for a sheet of paper widescreen isn't a good fit.

--
Len Sorensen