Re: debian-installer -> cross-compile to armel?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011, Jason wrote:
> Ahhh, crap.  I wasn't clear.  I'm not trying to cross-compile d-i, I'm
> trying to use d-i on x86 to build a uImage/uInitrd netboot combo for
> armel...

 To use or to build?  I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I've had
 success with building debian-installer for armel on a x86 machine by
 using an armel chroot and qemu-user-static (qemu-arm-static).
 Essentially, use qemu-debootstrap from the qemu-user-static package to
 create an armel chroot on your x86 machine, install the
 debian-installer build-deps and build debian-installer (really long to
 install the build-deps; actual build still a bit long but okay-ish).
   With recent schroot/sbuild, I think there are sample hook scripts you
 can use to setup qemu automatically and then you just point sbuild at
 the debian-installer source package and it will pick an armel chroot,
 setup qemu and build it.

 If what you're trying to do is generating the uImage and uInitrd that
 you would get after a d-i based installation on the target system, then
 it's another story.

--
Loïc Minier