debian-installer -> cross-compile to armel?

All,

I'm attempting to following the instructions at [1] to build a netboot
kernel and initrd for the dreamplug.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to
replicate what the build server seems to be able to do [2], cross-build
debian-installer images.  There are several old (2005) discussions about
it being difficult.  Hopefully, those issues have been resolved in the
past 6 years :-)  But I don't see any evidence of it...

installer/build/daily-build doesn't seem to have any cross magic in it.
What am I missing?

In the end, I'd like to be able to do the same as here[3] for the
dreamplug instead of the guruplug.  Then, a preseed for the freedombox
should be easy.

I need to build my own because I need to roll a custom kernel using the
new dreamplug mach-type, and my patch [4].

thx,

Jason.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build
[2]