Re: debian-installer -> cross-compile to armel?

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 03:46:12AM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011, Jason wrote:
> > Ahhh, crap.  I wasn't clear.  I'm not trying to cross-compile d-i, I'm
> > trying to use d-i on x86 to build a uImage/uInitrd netboot combo for
> > armel...
>
>  To use or to build?  I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I've had
>  success with building debian-installer for armel on a x86 machine by
>  using an armel chroot and qemu-user-static (qemu-arm-static).
>  Essentially, use qemu-debootstrap from the qemu-user-static package to
>  create an armel chroot on your x86 machine,

Okay, I got this far.  I'm able to 'sudo chroot armel-chroot/' into it.

>  install the debian-installer build-deps

and...  I'm missing something.   ;-)  Inside the chroot, my sources.list
is empty.  Which tells me I've done something wrong in a previous step.
Here's what I've done so far:

$ mkdir -p armel-chroot
$ sudo mkdir -p armel-chroot/usr/bin
$ sudo cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static armel-chroot/usr/bin/
$ sudo qemu-debootstrap --arch=armel wheezy armel-chroot/

## quite a bit of stuff installed without error.

$ sudo chroot armel-chroot/
# apt-get install subversion
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package subversion
# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
# exit
$

>  and build debian-installer
>  (really long to install the build-deps; actual build still a bit long
>  but okay-ish).

So, _outside_ the chroot I've gone ahead and done the following:

$ sudo svn co d-i.url armel-chroot/usr/src/debian-installer
$ cd armel-chroot/usr/src/debian-installer
$ sudo scripts/git-setup
$ sudo mr -p checkout

And... now, I'm at a loss because I see no way to add
dpkg-checkbuilddeps to the chroot.  Can I just add the default repo to
sources.list?  Why wasn't it added initially?

thx,

Jason.