Re: Problem went away mysteriously [Re: Bricked my SheevaPlug?]

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Rick Thomas wrote:
My new info is at the end of this message. Scroll down to the end. Thanks! to all who replied with suggestions.

Last night I unplugged everything and went home. I got a good night's sleep, and so, apparently, did my little plug. I came in this morning all prepared to do as David had suggested -- reprogram it with the JTAG interface. But before I did that, I tried "one more time" -- plugged it in with the USB stick in the slot and... Lo and behold! The blue light came on! So I plugged in the ethernet and all the other peripherals and hit the reset. It's up and running just fine right now as I type.

deja-vu time... I think this is what I did after the "funky" autoboot usb device that I had plugged in "killed" the plug. Would not post to blue, no matter what.

Pulled the SD disk out and let it sit. Day or so later, post'd to blue, but nothing after that. Plugged in the serial, and the IP had reverted back to factory.

So -- A lesson learned. Your SheevaPlug may not come back up after a short power outage. If this happens, letting it sit without power over night may bring it back to life.

I agree. A good recovery time resting may revive it. Mine did "init" back to a blank slate. All os disk edits gone.

Is this a general phenomenon?  Has anybody seen it before?

I will plug mine back in and see if it came back from experiment #2 :-)
If it's not just peculiar to my machine... unless the engineers at Marvell can diagnose and fix this particular glitch, I wouldn't plan on using a SheevaPlug for anything mission-critical.

If your hiccup was power related and I am thinking my problem was too much power wanted by the usb2 port expander I added, then maybe we are looking at a power problem that is similar to a heart attack.
Thanks for all the help! >
Rick

Btw, you can order the OpenRD-client today, shipping as soon as they catch up on the Sheeva plug backlog that I bet completely blew them away... LOL
199.00 for the board/manuals/software/power adapter
 50.00 for the enclosure (bummer!)

http://globalscaletechnologies.com/p-21-openrd-client.aspxhttp://globalscaletechnologies.com/p-21-openrd-client.aspx

--
steve