Re: Problem went away mysteriously [Re: Bricked my SheevaPlug?]

Rick Thomas wrote:
[...]
Generally, I do leave the debug/console USB plugged in all the time.

Are you referring to plugging/unplugging the console USB when you say "strange things" happen? Or plugging/unplugging the power connection? My problem occurred when unplugging power -- I did didn't unplug the console USB until after I had disconnected the power.

I don't know what the internal power circuitry's like for the USB slave socket. If you unplug the main power but leave the console hooked up, it's entirely possible that you'll end up powering at least some of the SheevaPlug's circuitry via it, which may be confusing the reset logic.

I've found that mine has a bit of a tendency to crash if you plug or unplug the console socket. Oddly, switching the console computer on and off doesn't do this.

I console myself (pun not intended) with the thought that at least the USB power circuitry's better than the NSLU2's, where you could frequently unintentionally power the whole computer off leakage from one of its own hard drives.

(PS. Please don't cc me with replies --- I'm on the mailing list, after all, and don't need two copies of each message!)

│
│ "They laughed at Newton. They laughed at Einstein. Of course, they
│ also laughed at Bozo the Clown." --- Carl Sagan